[Ti] AAC and Car CD Decks

b fl1pper at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 12 14:35:00 PDT 2003

Bruce Maclean paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>Anybody out there using  Propellorhead's Reason?

Sure, I like the strings and the reverb, a lot, but I patch it into
Digital Performer, but for sampling, for me there's only Kontakt, and
I have all the other synths from native instruments, also: FM7, B4,
Pro-53, etc.

Often I'll use Reason, as fully self-contained, to work things out. I
only use DP4 because my original sequencer (Opcode Vision) was
allowed to die a long time ago. Vision was great, for me, in the
Eighties.

Back in the day, it was all Pro Tools in the bigger studios. But Macs
have been 'in there' as long as I can remember, regarding digital
sound recording. Reason's cool though. I 'backed into it' by way of
ReBirth.

I assisted on the engineering side on an album that won a Juno (a
Canadian Grammy) using a Mac IIci to 'run' the interface between
'live' recordings and 'hard' studio effects and digital recording.
That was great fun.  Taking isolated musical parts, recorded live
into a small board, running them with a SMPTE generator and a Mac SE
(with Vision as the sequencer) onto a Scully 8-track, and then
dumping the tracks onto a Trident board that was in the main (IIci,
ProTools) recording studio.

Things, audio, are beyond amazing, today, on the Macintosh. They were
already pretty amazing in the late Eighties. But, nowadays, to run
self-contained sampling, recording, treatment, mixing, and
mastering...on a laptop? Totally amazing.

~flipper