Titanium screen spasms! Epilepsy?

Bart Dame dameb001 at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Sep 16 14:34:17 PDT 2003

For the last week or so, my Titanium 500 has been experience screen
spasms. What happens is the a part of the display twitches, then
spasms, then starts freaking out in a schizoid display. It almost seems
similar to when I used to run the old display tests under Norton
Utilities. It lasts for varying lengths of time--the longest about 5
secs. Others are shorter in duration. The problem seems to be getting
worse.

I have done no recent major modifications of my system. The problem
also occurs when I boot with a clean system (I keep an unmodified User
Account for troubleshooting purposes). I do not have an external
monitor that I can plug in to further isolate the problem.

Related problems have sometimes been attributed to a pinched wire as it
passes through the hinge, but the problem appears unrelated to any
moving of the screen. It happens whether it is on my lap (and being
slightly jiggled as I shift) or when sitting on the tabletop, so it
does not appear to be related to moving the computer. It does seem to
occur more frequently as the computer heats up.

I have tried to take a picture of the screen with my digital camera
while it is freaking out, but it happens with unpredictable intervals,
perhaps 2 or 3 times an hour once the computer gets hot. And, by the
time my camera can take the shot, the episode has passed. I find myself
perversely hoping that an episode will last long enough that I can
catch in "on film", but I suspect that would mean the problem would
have to get worse. By next week, that may be the case.

I suspect it is the video card going bad, but such a diagnosis is
beyond my skills. I have not had very good luck finding other reports
online that are described in ways that give me confidence that they are
describing the same problem.

Has anyone had (or heard of) similar problems? Any wisdom, insight, or
troubleshooting tips on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bart