[Ti] The Benchmarks

AT&T Cox gchapel at worldnet.att.net
Thu Sep 18 20:00:17 PDT 2003

On 09/18/03 07:17 PM, "Michael Bigley" <wakinyan at fuse.net> wrote:

> This is only important if you still believe that Apple has to beat
> Microsoft to be successful; which, history shows, is crap.
>
> To add to Flipper's point, I am only interested in benchmarks
> comparing Apples to Apples; the rest is just ego. My Ti500 performs
> very well and I would really be interested in how newer boxen relate
> to it. It would really be nice to see comparisons of new computers,
> with fresh OS installs, optimized drives. If these tests are done
> each time a new model is released THEN you have some valuable
> comparatives.
>
> To test Photoshop across platforms is like putting a ford at Indy and
> a chevy at Kentucky speedway at different times of day, in different
> weather conditions, with drivers of different skill levels, driving
> each car a lap and calling it a comparative benchmark of performance.
> Marketing guys for the winning car would use the stats, but nobody
> else would.

Where did the Apple vs. Microsoft come from? We were discussing intels chip
vs. the G4.

I am glad you like your TI500 and that it works great for you, my TI 800
works great for me. However I can do things on my Ti today that I would not
have thought possible just 5 years ago. Full 3D rendering (ie Maya),Video
editing (ie final cut pro) and full color editing on a Unix portable just
wasn't even talked about. Software is available that was conceived
specifically because supercomputing became possible on a small portable
unit. All of this innovation becomes possible as a result of performance
improvement. First the hardware then the software.  My comment was on how
the pro-line has become woefully unimpressive in processing ability. That
doesn't mean that it isn't useable today but it sure isn't high-end anymore.

Last, benchmark testing, using similar software running real world tests
across different platforms is the BEST way to make cross-platform
comparisons. Photoshop 7 tests are a great way to do cross platform
comparisons. I don't draw any similarities between these benchmark testing
procedures and your analogy. Please explain your analogy. Adobe tries to
optimize it's software for the individual platforms. In most cases they use
optimized compilers to run the same algorithms. Running multiple tests over
and over and comparing times across platforms is probably the best way to
compare hardware performance.

Greg