[Ti] The Benchmarks

Glenn L. Austin glenn at austin-home.com
Thu Sep 18 19:38:37 PDT 2003

on 9/18/2003 5:17 PM, Michael Bigley at wakinyan at fuse.net wrote:

>> Right now, according to these few bench marks, the low-end Centrino at 1.3
>> Ghz was keeping up with and beating the pro-line Apple 1.33 Ghz 17"on cpu
>> related tasks.
>>
>> Make of it what you will, but I would think that most pro-line users are
>> also performance oriented and they expect pro models to perform better than
>> low-end entry level doorstop machines.
>
> This is only important if you still believe that Apple has to beat
> Microsoft to be successful; which, history shows, is crap.

I have a Ti500, and still use it every day not only for e-mail, but for
development of products and consulting for Austin-Soft.  I regularly run
VirtualPC for some PC development work, and it is more than fast enough to
do some development work when I'm not at my desktop PC, although the VS6 and
VS.NET compiler teams could use a lesson in efficient software design --
eating 100% of the CPU on my desktop 1900 Athlon and being *slower* (between
50 and 300% slower) than CodeWarrior on my Ti500 doesn't look too good for
Microsoft.

Oh, my TiBook is coming up on its 3 year birthday -- it will probably become
our server at home, and get a new 15 inch AlBook. :-)

--
Glenn L. Austin <><
Computer Wizard and Race Car Driver