[Ti] The Benchmarks

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Thu Sep 18 20:22:30 PDT 2003

>Last, benchmark testing, using similar software running real world tests
>across different platforms is the BEST way to make cross-platform
>comparisons. Photoshop 7 tests are a great way to do cross platform
>comparisons. I don't draw any similarities between these benchmark testing
>procedures and your analogy. Please explain your analogy. Adobe tries to
>optimize it's software for the individual platforms. In most cases they use
>optimized compilers to run the same algorithms. Running multiple tests over
>and over and comparing times across platforms is probably the best way to
>compare hardware performance.

First, sorry about the Microsoft/intel faux pax; it's been a rough week ;-)

Second, if you want to base your buying decisions on benchmarks then
find the one the benefits your favorite platform. Apple's benchmark
tests always show it to out-perform intel/windows counterparts; intel
has benchmarks that show the opposite; and their are varying
"independent" results as well.

What flipper said: theory has little or no basis in practice. These
cross platforms tests are great fodder for mailing list debates, and
marketing execs, but little else.
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com