[Ti] The Benchmarks

Greg Chapel gchapel at worldnet.att.net
Thu Sep 18 21:07:29 PDT 2003

On 09/18/03 10:22 PM, "Michael Bigley" <wakinyan at fuse.net> wrote:

> Second, if you want to base your buying decisions on benchmarks then
> find the one the benefits your favorite platform. Apple's benchmark
> tests always show it to out-perform intel/windows counterparts; intel
> has benchmarks that show the opposite; and their are varying
> "independent" results as well.

Fair enough, I guess it is hard to judge the reliability of these benchmark
comparisons when they can selectively be shown to favor a specific point of
view.

But in this case the benchmark tests were run not as part of an advertising
claim but by a pro-Apple site running tests to compare the new PowerBooks to
the old PowerBooks. The intel centrino laptop was just thrown in to the mix
for a cross-platform basis. The centrino laptop was not a current high-end
performer but one of the low-end 1.3 Ghz models and it appears to run neck &
neck, or even outperformed the 1.33 Ghz G4, on the cpu tests. It was soundly
defeated on the frame rate tests but that really is only related to the
graphics card performance not the cpu.

To me this is just another bit of evidence that Motorola really let the G4
slip over the years. Apple has done such a stunning job of creating a solid
System with OS X and their beautiful hardware design creations, I just hate
to see the pro-line being bogged down by a third rate processor, that is
slow, and more expensive. Apple really needs the IBM G5 across the entire
pro-line.

Greg