[Ti] Nasty habits

Erik Gaderlund gaderson at mac.com
Sat Sep 20 13:26:12 PDT 2003

At 13:40 -0400 09/20/03, b wrote:
><ursus at mac.com> paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:
>
>>  > My new 12" G4, 640 MB, 867 MHz has the nasty habit of changing
>>>  "Internet Connect" and "Network" configs from internal Modem to
>>>  BlueTooth at random.
>>>
>>>  Has anyone experienced this bothersome glitch? Any fixes?
>>>
>>>  Thanks

>>The whole network location switching thing in OS X really sucks!  Someone
>>didn't do their homework on this. OS 9 Location manager is something I
>>really miss.
>
>I missed a bit of this thread, but I really like the Locations
>routine in the Apple menu. For quite some time I was logging into 6
>different ISPs, some dsl, some cable, and the remainder, dialup.
>Each setting had its own particulars as far as which ports were open
>on my Mac, whether web sharing, remote dial-in, etc, was activated,
>as well as the usual different passwords,  etc.
>
>Did it take a bit of actual reading and exploring of the user
>interface to figure out how simple and powerful it was? Yup. All of
>15 minutes, and I had the easiest multi-login, location-based system
>ever. I wouldn't go back to OS 9's Location Manager or Users &
>Groups if you paid me.

I use this all the time also, but, it could be improved like the
Location Manager in OS 9 that also let you change other settings,
like changing the Energy Saver, and other, actually I wish you could
save more than one 'Custom' setting in Energy Saver (e.g. Ultra-saver
for battery, and NO SLEEP for network backups.)

>And I hear that under Panther, or a first rev of it, the system will
>actually monitor multiple connection schemes (if you have multiple
>schemes under one Location set up, say, internal modem, wireless,
>dsl, and cable), and choose the fastest connection of the lot. Short
>of bona fide 'mind-reading' I fail to see how it could get much
>easier than that.

I already use the ability to have Airport and Ethernet to connect at
the same time, but, I'm not sure which one is taking over other than
their order in the Network panel.  So this looks like an improvement
from the seemingly arbitrary way it's done now.

erik g