[Ti] Undeletable trash

b fl1pper at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 20 20:29:41 PDT 2003

Tom Seid paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>Under OS 10.2.6, I have a folder, containing 0 kb, which I cannot
>delete...every time I try a warning shows that I do not have sufficient
>privileges...booted into OS 9, and it doesn't appear in trash...any
>thoughts?
>Thanks
>Tom

Tom,

Is it really a folder, or a file? What is it called? I'm always
curious how empty 'System' folders (directories) get to the Trash, in
the first place.

If it's really a directory/folder then typing sudo rm -r  (thats a
space between the 'm' and the hyphen) followed by a space, then drag
the folder to the Terminal window, hit return, type your password,
hit return again, and it's gone.

As long as you didn't have "Show Invisibles' enabled, and dragged the
folder out of "System" you'll be fine. Otherwise, it's best to leave
system-owned folders alone. As a regular User, we can't 'lock' a
Folder, only a file. So, if it's really a folder, and it's locked,
then it's a System folder.

~flipper