[Ti] [OT] Mac OS X question

Joao Carlos de Pinho jogme at terra.com.br
Sun Sep 21 06:43:12 PDT 2003

Em 9/21/03 9:41, Tarik escreveu:

> I have selected some extra languages for input (Turkish keyboard
> variants) yet in my menu bar at the top the only 2 keyboards I see are
> UK and USA. I see the others listed but they are greyed out.
>
> any ideas?

Those input methods are of type "Unicode". They only work in some
applications, as you can see in this excerpt of an article on Apple's
website:

"4. Unicode allows you to use certain languages in applications such as
Mail, TextEdit, or the Finder.

5. To type text in a given language, you may need to select a keyboard or
input method for it in the International panel of System Preferences. After
selecting additional keyboards or input methods, a new menu with a flag icon
will appear in the menu bar of all applications. This is the keyboard menu,
and it allows you to choose among different keyboards or input methods. Some
input methods may create an additional menu next to the keyboard menu when
they are active. Keyboards listed as "Unicode" in International Preferences
are only available in Unicode applications such as Mail, TextEdit, or the
Finder. When typing in an application, the availability of these keyboards
in the keyboard menu indicates whether or not that application works with
Unicode."

You can read the entire article (which contains other tips to use Turkish
and several keyboard layouts) in this URL:

Hope it helps.

João Carlos