Al 15" latch problems

Sherman Gregory sherman at qualcomm.com
Mon Sep 29 11:02:56 PDT 2003

I hope this is not a sign of things to come.  I got my Al 15", and
before I even turned it on, I noticed that it would not stay latched.
If I held it closed and wiggled it, I could get it to latch, but not
very reliably.  usually when I try to close it, it kind of half
latches, and then pops open.  The hook looks like it is coming out of
the top OK, and I don't see anything in the hole that looks damaged,
but the hook does not want to fully engage.

I took it to my local apple store (never did turn it on).  The tech
agreed that it was not right, and would have swapped it out then and
there except that this was a BTO machine with the 5400 RPM drive, and
they said they could not swap the drive with a new machine.  So they
have to send it back and are quoting 7 to 10 days.  Bummer.