[Ti] ejecting a stuck DVD

Kynan Shook kynan at cs.wisc.edu
Tue Sep 30 07:56:00 PDT 2003

I doubt that Ejection Seat (which I wrote, by the way...  ;-) will do
the trick; by the description of the problem, it sounds like the disc
is encountering some resistance on the way out.  Those drives give up
very quickly to avoid damaging anything, at which point they suck the
disc back in and remount it.  As somebody else suggested, you should
see if a business card (or anything else similarly stiff and flat)
inserted at an angle either just above or below the edge helps guide
the disc out.  Personally, I'd recommend booting into open firmware
(reboot, hold Command-Option-O-F), then insert the business card, type
"eject cd" and press return.  Keep trying until you can guide the CD
out.  It might help if you can tell which side of the slot the disc is
hitting, but you can also just keep trying until it works.