[Ti] FireWire Port Problem

Tarik tarik at opalblue.com
Tue Sep 30 09:04:30 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, September 30, 2003, at 04:55  pm, b wrote:

> Are there KnowledgeBase articles on this specific issue? I saw
> Discussions on dead FireWire ports at the Apple support site. From
> what I gather, it is a question of a motherboard replacement. That's
> all the way out of the question for me, so I guess a PC Card will be
> the only way to go.

ok -- heres what I know.

AFAIK there are no articles at Apple about the problem,

but:

I had this problem on my (early) Ti 400 after around 8 months of use. I
immediately called Applecare, and affter doing various sanity checks
they agreed with me that my 1394 port was totally dead.

My Ti was sent to an Apple repair centre in Germany, and they replaced
a "logic board" (i did not ask them at the time if this was the mobo
itself or a card on the board) and the problem was fixed, and it has
not failed in the 2 years since.

--
Tarik Bilgin
Opalblue