[Ti] FireWire Port Problem

b fl1pper at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 30 09:41:47 PDT 2003

Tarik paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>On Tuesday, September 30, 2003, at 04:55  pm, b wrote:
>
>>Are there KnowledgeBase articles on this specific issue? I saw
>>Discussions on dead FireWire ports at the Apple support site. From
>>what I gather, it is a question of a motherboard replacement. That's
>>all the way out of the question for me, so I guess a PC Card will be
>>the only way to go.
>
>ok -- heres what I know.
>
>AFAIK there are no articles at Apple about the problem,
>
>but:
>
>I had this problem on my (early) Ti 400 after around 8 months of
>use. I immediately called Applecare, and affter doing various sanity
>checks they agreed with me that my 1394 port was totally dead.
>
>My Ti was sent to an Apple repair centre in Germany, and they
>replaced a "logic board" (i did not ask them at the time if this was
>the mobo itself or a card on the board) and the problem was fixed,
>and it has not failed in the 2 years since.

Well, thanks. I'm not on AppleCare, instead I bought a couple of
extended care packages from the dealer, at the time, and the dealer
is being very noncommittal about it all. I ran the Apple Hardware
test CD and it showed no problems with the "Logic Board", but, as you
mentioned, who knows what is meant by that.

I use heavy duty surge protection, always. A direct hit from
lightning, on a house I lived in down south, killed a PC in the
house, blinked all the lights and reset all digital gear...but my
external monitor blinked, momentarily, and a large file transfer,
that was in progress at the time, carried on as if nothing had
happened. My external FireWire drive kept right on working also, so I
have a hard time believing there was an incident with sufficient
'juice', after the direct hit on the house, to knock out the port...

External devices 'power-up' on the FireWire bus, but aren't detected,
so, who knows? Thanks for your input.

`flipper