What shall we do with a Ti with a damaged display?

Ritz, Daniel daniel.ritz at transcore.com
Thu Apr 1 06:47:43 PST 2004

>Subject: [Ti] What shall we do with a Ti with a damaged display?
>Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 11:05:46 +0100

>Hello group,

>The display on my Ti 550 is damaged. Few minutes after switching it on
>it starts to display  waves and zig-zags across the screen which make
>it impossible to work on it. But as in all other respects the Ti works
>fine, for the last year I had an external monitor and a keyboard
>plugged in. My question is: Did anyone else have to convert their Ti to
>a desktop machine? are there any interesting design solutions to doing
>that? And finally is is feasible to replace the screen, or it's not
>worth the bother?

>Thanks for your help,

>Daniel Rubinstien

I have a Ti with the bottom 2/3 of the screen faulty.  Prices for repair (assuming this is the LCD) exceed the cost of replacing in kind from eBay, though I am still hopeful an acquaintance who is a certified Apple tech. may be able to fix it for less.

I set it up as a desktop with a nice flat screen monitor that I wall mounted, a powered 4 port USB hub, external speakers (via the headphone jack) and a FW drive: the Porsche cased LaCie.

I needed the USB to support a keyboard/mouse, printer with ports left over for my scanner, media reader, camera or Palm which I use as needed.  As there are two ports on the Ti, I would have had to disconnect the printer over and over again.

I am quite happy with what I have.  It has got to be the sleekest 'desk top' I ever owned.  I put the external drive and USB hub under the Ti, which is supported on two blocks to the left and right side.  I considered putting the Ti on edge like a book on the shelf but I have found the need to open it sometimes to re power up, or to awaken it when on occasion it does not see the keyboard anymore.  It was also best for heat escape to keep it propped up and clear for better air flow.

Daniel
P.S.  I am not using the correct mail protocol and my messages are not accepted by the list.  Feel free to post this if you wish.