Trade-in Speedy - "Classic" Question?

giorgio gomelsky gio1 at rcn.com
Sat Apr 10 08:13:06 PDT 2004

> From: Da Pen <macstonelson at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Trade-in Speedy - "Classic" Question?

> I had backed up the old PB G4 500Mhz which was running
> OS9.1.  I tried to run FCP from the backup, it asked
> which system folder I wanted to use, I chose the old
> one (on my LaCie) but it wouldn't let me, so I
> selected the new one on the PB.  Still wouldn't run -
> as I suspected.  Can I just swap the extensions folder
> from the old one to the new one to make this work?  Is
> there anything else I should swap?

I regret to be the bearer of bad news but I had a similar
problem when I "migrated" to the new AluBook. It appears that FCP
installs machine specific ID files, meaning that it knows what
platform it is installed on originally. I believe, that these files,
although backed up, are looking for the ethernet# of the machine they
were installed on to run FCP.

This means a re-install of FCP. A further complication might be that
AluBooks don't boot up in 9.2, so I don't know if you can preserve
your favorites and preferences or even your third party stuff, although
if you ran Classic from your backuped version it might work.

Might be a good moment to go to FCP4 if you haven't yet. That's what
I'm going to try. There's a very good FCP usergroup in LA:
http://www.lafcpug.org  go on their forum and ask there.