[Ti] hot power adaptor (square white ones) for TiBook

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Sat Apr 10 10:03:52 PDT 2004

I agree that it is fairly normal for these things to run quite warm,
especially while charging.  I would recommend keeping it in a position
where airflow around it isn't restricted.  However, that said, I have 3
square adapters (a 45W with silver DC-in plug, and a 45 and 65 W each
with white plugs), and none of them have ever had problems.  I've had
the 45W silver one for about 5 months, the 65W one for a little over a
year, and the other one for around 2 years.  I also have about 4 of
them at work (I do computer repair), and none of them have failed,
either.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of you are not actually seeing them
fail, but rather seeing the over voltage protection kicking in.
Especially if you have your PowerBook connected to the same electrical
circuit as a large-draw device such as a refrigerator or something
similar that draws a lot of electricity right as it starts up, you may
see this frequently.  The power adapter detects fluctuations in the
power coming out of the wall, and shuts itself off to protect itself
and the computer, turning off the green/amber status light and leaving
your computer running on battery.  It wouldn't surprise me if that's
what some of you have interpreted as failing (or John Pariseau as
turning off due to overheating); that's what I thought initially too.
Anyway, if you just unplug the power adapter from the wall, or the duck
head adapter from the power adapter, and then plug it back in, the
power adapter will work again.

Obviously, not all of you were seeing this; a charred cable isn't
exactly a good sign.  I'm not surprised to hear of cords breaking in
the power adapters, at least if you tend to frequently carry around
your power adapter.  I think it's easier to just buy two power
adapters, leave one at work, and one at home.  I'm hardly ever away
from either of those places for long enough to drain my battery.  As
long as you take good care of the cord and try not to flex it back and
forth a different way each time you wrap it (or, worse, not wrap it up
at all), I would expect the cable to last a very long time.

Anyway, for a more detailed description of the over voltage protection,
see: