[Ti] Which printer recommended ?

cheshirekat cheshirekat at pobox.com
Sat Apr 17 07:25:41 PDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004, the following words from Wilhelm Wanders
kaskudoo at freenet.de, emerged from a plethora of SPAM ...

>I am about to get a printer. I already chose one out .... a Canon
>Multifuntional Printer .....
>It had nice features, like:
>- separate Ink Catridges + economic printing (cost-effective)
>- stand-alone picture print from media (as memory stick)
>- stand-alone fax
>- slot loading for copying paper (so you can copy a stack of papers)
>...i think also stand-alone ....
>- network-enabled (ethernet)
>Well, I don't want to advertise for Canon, but this printer is on the
>first position when it comes to multifunctional printer in home or
>small business.
>The only problem is, that there are NO DRIVERS for Macintosh at all -
>and if Canon has some, then for OS 9 ...

My Brother MFC3820cn does all you want.

I still haven't had a chance to scan, but I've done everything else,
including using the stand alone fax and Photo Center.
Uses ethernet or USB.
Separate ink carts; black, cyan, magenta, yellow.
Walk-up stand-alone photo center for most media including memory stick
and CF (only 2 I have).
Auto-document feeder for scans and copies. Or use the glass. No legal
scanning with glass.
Stand alone copy.
Holds 250 pages in the single print tray.
Black carts run about $11 while color is about $19 direct from Brother.
Cheaper cart deals can be found on the net. This is the first printer
I've not had to change the carts frequently because the ink cartridges
are larger than the others I've had, but YMMV.
You can set it up for wireless printing, but I haven't done that because
some of the other features may be limited.
Prints fairly quietly. (Important in this household when printing when
someone is sleeping or napping.)
This printer does not come with ethernet or USB cables, but I had extra
ethernet cables of the lengths I wanted, so it wasn't a problem.

Brother MFC-3820cn
<http://www.brother.com/usa/fax/info/mfc3820cn/mfc3820cn_ove.html>

HTH

cheshirekat

--
Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca, writer and philosopher

* 867 PowerBook G4 * OS X 10.2.8 * 768 MB Ram *