[Ti] Dead Titanium/500

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Sat Apr 17 14:23:14 PDT 2004

First thing, any Mac made in even somewhat recent history should still
boot fine with a dead PRAM battery.  Second, I think that the batteries
used in all the portables are rechargeable, though some (like the
iBooks) don't have a battery at all.  Just plugging it in for a day
straight is enough to recharge the backup battery.
Also, even if your PowerBook doesn't make any noise or show anything on
the screen, it can still be "on".  That's why you should check the caps
lock light.

And why are you worrying about losing your data and preferences?  You
*DO* back up your computer regularly, don't you???
Let me put it this way for everybody that doesn't:  Hard drives fail,
computers are stolen, software gets corrupt.  These things tend to
happen at exactly the least convenient time possible.  If you have a
day or a week or a month (or however long it would take you to recreate
all your data) to waste at some random time, well, save the $200 for a
FireWire hard drive or something similar.  If you don't have that much
free time, back up NOW.
Personally, I back up to DVDs about once a year, to a CD whenever I
have enough data to justify it, and to a USB flash drive when I only
have a small amount to back up.