[Ti] [OT] Word processor

Arjan Bos arjan.bos at hetnet.nl
Sun Apr 18 13:26:21 PDT 2004

On 16 apr 2004, at 15:46, Tarik Bilgin wrote:

> I am writing up some documents atm, and as usual pulling my hair out
> with MS Word and instead using Textedit.
>
> Textedit does the job -- but I find it a bit limited.
>
> Can anyone recommend a:
>
> 2) A Tex front-end (Texshop was recommended) which could help me to
> learn Tex. Failing that a pointer to some help files or a book would
> be good.

If you want to get serious about TeX, please also consider LaTeX. For
TeX Victor Eijkhout has a nice pdf somewhere on the web called `TeX by
Topic'. Perhaps Victor is still lurking around here.

For LaTeX the book by Leslie Lamport is indispensable. It's called
`LaTeX: A Document Preparation System, 2/E'. The other standard book is
by Michel Goosens et.al. called `The LaTeX companion'.

As a word processor there is Lyx (http://www.lyx.org), which runs under
X11 and is installable via Fink. You might want to check it out. It's a
``What You See Is What You Mean'' LaTeX front-end. I used it for some
time, but I like to get my hands dirty and write ``the real thing''
myself. So these days I use emacs with the AucTeX package
(http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/ ). But unless your already
familiar with emacs and its interface, I wouldn't advise you to go that
route.

HTH,

Arjan

ps. I run them all on my TiBook 667Mhz 1Gb 30Gb, etc.

---
"You can't second-guess ineffability, I always say."

-- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)