[Ti] OT -- Word / osX

William Scammell williamscammell at idesignofboston.com
Mon Apr 19 05:37:24 PDT 2004

>On 18 Apr 2004, at 21:01, Dejan Sinadinovic wrote:
>
>>  Why I am getting strange calculated spaces
>>between words in Word:Mac under OS X? It's
>>annoying because I can't see if I hit
>>duble/space, no/space or it was just the
>>optical illusion. I've changed the fonts,
>>sizeŠ. Do you know what I'm talking about?
>>Please advice.
>>
>>  Regards from Belgrade
>>  Dejan
>
>There is  tool in the formatting ruler to turn
>on a mode so you can see all the spaces and
>carriage returns (etc) in your doc. It's towards
>the right hand side and has a funny symbol that
>looks like a bold backwards "P".

(FYI: that means "insert a new paragraph here" in Copy Editor Speak.)

>Using that you will see exactly what's going on,
>but most likely Word is calculating space
>distances based on the font, the justification
>etc. etc. This is normal behaviour for  a
>WYSIWYG word processor I think.

i don't know if this will help, but in Adobe Type
Manager (ATM) in os9, there's a pair of radio
buttons that read:
   *  preserve line spacing
   *  preserve character shapes

if there's an equivalent control panel/setting in
osX perhaps that could be a culprit as well. you
can only have 1 of those selected, so try
reversing that selection.

another thing to check under ATM is whether or
not "precision character positioning" is selected.

also, what kind of printer do you have selected
in osX's equivalent to the Chooser? is it a
PostScript printer or not?

finally, are you using a PostScript font, True
Type, Open Type...? try changing that as well. i
always try to use only PS fonts.

HTH,

William Scammell                     Creative Director
williamscammell@                        781-956-3548
idesignofboston.com

http://www.idesignofboston.com provides
graphic, advertising, and web site design services.