[Ti] faster int. hd question

John simplymail at ururk.com
Wed Apr 21 10:06:20 PDT 2004

> Has anyone on the list installed the 60GB 7200RPM internal hd
> (IBM/Hitachi Travelstar) in their powerbook?  I'm wondering if it
> speeds things up in any noticeable way.
> Or, if you have lots of RAM, maybe the faster-spinning drive doesn't
> make much of a difference?
> Any advice from someone who's tried the new drive, or knows about
> these things, would be appreciated.

I went this route.

I can't say, after less than a year of use, that it sped anything up.
If I remember correctly, Photoshop times (opening, saving) improved
with huge files, (it still takes time). When I first installed it I
felt a decent speed increase, but one gets used to a "faster" mac, and
then the new faster feels slow.

One thing that I don't know, is how to spin the darn thing down! When I
leave my PB alone for a little while, the HD doesn't spin down - even
with my energy save prefs correctly set up! Either Panther never sleeps
the drive, or the drive needs some sort of utility to enable this.

Check out xlr8yourmac.com to read the reviews of this drive, in various
PB configs.

I also have 768 MB of RAM, so that helps a little as well.