[Ti] networking external FW disk

Sherman Gregory sherman at qualcomm.com
Wed Apr 21 13:51:48 PDT 2004

>I have two PB's networked together through a router. One of them
>also has a FW 80GIG external drive connected to  it. The question
>is: is it possible to see the external drive on the network? at the
>moment i can only see it from the computer it is physically attached
>to. it would be nice to be able to back-up to it from the other PB.

Sure, I do this with a Cube that has an external disk connected via
firewire.  I can't see why it would not work with both machines being
powerbooks.

When I do the Go->Connect to server thing and then select the cube,
it gives me a list of volumes to mount.  One is my Home directory on
the cube, one is the cube's internal disk, and one is the external
disk.

Are you logging into the remote machine with an account that has
admin privileges?  I bet you need that to get to anything other than
your home directory.  Can't think of any other reasons that this
would not work.

      Sherman