[Ti] faster int. hd question

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Wed Apr 21 14:19:10 PDT 2004

Malcolm Hamilton typed this message on 4/21/04 10:25 AM:

> Hi all -
> Has anyone on the list installed the 60GB 7200RPM internal hd
> (IBM/Hitachi Travelstar) in their powerbook?  I'm wondering if it
> speeds things up in any noticeable way.
> Or, if you have lots of RAM, maybe the faster-spinning drive doesn't
> make much of a difference?
> Any advice from someone who's tried the new drive, or knows about
> these things, would be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Malcolm

I read a thread in the MacWorld site a while back that seemed to imply that
the 7200 don't seem to speed things up enough to bother. The biggest speed
increase is with the 5400 over the 4200 drives - especially if they have the
8M buffer. Besides, the extra power needed to run them and the extra heat
they generate are a worry to Powerbook users.

I think that Apple seem to know what runs best in the machines when they set
them up and they make the best choices balancing cost with performance. The
only departure from this would possibly be RAM modules IMHO.

jg