[Ti] List name Was "annoyances"

Michael wakinyan at fuse.net
Fri Apr 23 07:27:50 PDT 2004

>I am doing some investigation into the viability of using Mac OS X
>Server as an enterprise file (and possibly mail) server, for Windows
>and Macintosh clients.
>
>So far so good, Mac OS X can talk Active Directory, so even the
>windows clients can authenticate to it.
>
>In fact, having played with the admin tools it really looks like a
>great product for the small to medium business to deploy. As usual
>though, I have no case studies of any organizations taking full
>advantage of OS X in this way....anyone have some experiences of
>using it? I am going to trial it whatever happens, but would be good
>to hear what it's like, especially in the US where Apple has a much
>better presence in the market.

We use OSXS for our mail and web services for about a dozen clients
and it is excellent.  I subscribe to the OSX Server List that Apple
provides and have seen quite a few posts about issues with Active
Directory and Directory Services in General.  I haven't followed
these posts closely because we don't provide such services.  While I
believe there are work arounds, you may want to visit the archives
<http://www.lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/macos-x-server> to see
what you are getting in to... that list, btw, is an invaluable
resource for administering OSXS.

Also, OSXS out of the box config is for mail services to be LAN only,
so there is some CLI configuring necessary to support net access, but
there are excellent tutorials on this, especially at afp548.com.  I
will say that the GUI isn't perfect and SHOULD NOT be used for things
like DNS, so a comfort level with Terminal is necessary to properly
admin this server.  The folks on the server list are all unix geeks
and relatively gentle with newbies (like me).

Hope this helps!
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com