[Ti] Toshiba's New 100GB 2.5-inch HDD

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Fri Apr 23 09:37:37 PDT 2004

Invasion of Piracy typed this message on 4/23/04 10:43 AM:

>> Too bad it only rotates at 4200 rpm. When they can
> get it to spin at 5400,
>> it will be a real killer!
>
> Yeah, a battery killer.

Well, if you look at the specs between a Toshiba drive that rotates at 5400
versus a drive that rotates at 4200, these are the differences:

MK6022GAX has:

Start:  5.0w
Seek:   2.9w
R/W:    2.5w
Idle:   1.05w
Sby:    0.25w
Sleep:  0.1w

MK6021GAS has:

Start:  4.7w
Seek:   2.6w
R/W:    2.3w
Idle:   0.9w
Sby:    0.25w
Sleep:  0.1w

Now, there is a difference I grant you. But not as much as I, for one, would
expect. Now, heat might be another matter (especially in the relatively
small confines of a 12" or 15" Powerbook case). Unfortunately, I can't seem
to find any specs on this on any of the OEM web sites.

jg