[Ti] Toshiba's New 100GB 2.5-inch HDD

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Fri Apr 23 10:10:24 PDT 2004

Two notes:
First, it would certainly be *possible* to add another platter, but I
doubt Toshiba would do it.  If you look at their 2.5" drives, all of
them are 9.5 mm tall.  And, since it seems to me like Toshiba has been
the one recently with the largest laptop drives, I'm not sure anybody
else will beat them, either.  Additionally, all of Apple's current
laptops are limited to 9.5 mm height drives; I'm going to bet that 12
mm drives are quickly going the way of the 15 and 19 mm ones (or
something like those sizes, might not be exactly right).

Also, as far as rotational speed versus size, you're missing one thing:
there are 4 surfaces in both the 80 and 100 GB drives (both sides of 2
platters), and the size of the platters are the same.  Hence the areal
density is much higher (as they mention in the article) - likely about
25% higher.  Now, certainly some of that added density will be added by
putting more cylinders in the drive (eg increasing the radial linear
density), but some of that added density is also added along the
direction of motion; I'd say angular density, but that wouldn't be
right (the angular density depends on the radius); so it's really just
linear density along a particular arc that is being increased.  Anyway,
  you're getting a drive that spins 23% slower, but bits are flying
under the head almost as fast as a lower-density 5400 RPM drive.

The bottom line is this: if you really want speed, you shouldn't be
using a laptop to begin with.  Go buy a G5.  If you want storage space,
the 100 GB drive will probably be close to the same speed as the 5400
RPM 80 GB drive (and faster than the 4200 RPM 80 GB drive).  If you
don't want either, stick with what you've got.  If you want both, can I
interest you in an Xserve RAID?