TiBook display takeapart

Dan K macdan at comcast.net
Fri Apr 23 19:37:56 PDT 2004

I finally figured out how to cleanly peel the bezels off a TiBook display
and thought I'd share my brainstorm. :-)

If you've ever done taken apart a TiBook display you know how difficult
it is to remove the bezel parts from the LCD without bending the heck out
of the metal, especially the front bezel. I've done a couple using the
pull and peel method and the results weren't pretty.

On my latest broken-LCD-acquisition I used a piece of thin stiff plastic
which I slid around the edges. It popped the bezels off cleanly with
virtually no damage. The plastic I used came from some sort of
blister-packed product. I cut up the clear plastic into a strip maybe 2"
wide x several inches long. The plastic is stiff enough to be slid along
under the bezel but not so thick it bends up the metal.

Not only did it do a beautiful job it was fast, taking only a couple of
minutes (just the display, not getting the &^$^%&& display off the 'Book.
:-)

I'l have more details of course and will put up a page with pics as soon
as I'm able. I do intend to complete the repair using a two-part acrylic
adhesive (same stuff Apple used in the first place) to glue it back
together. I'll put those details on the same page as well once I've done
it.

Dan K

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700