TiPB Power Adaptor

Wilson Ng wilsonng at mail.com
Tue Apr 27 19:18:16 PDT 2004

I went to MCE Technologies' web site and bought one of their power plugs for
about $45. It's cheaper than paying about $70-$80 for the Apple adapter. It
appears to have a thicker plastic coating around the plugs so they appear to
be sturdier than typical Apple adapters. The Apple adapters tend to have
thinner plastic coatings so I am discouraged by those adapters.

I have already been through 3 power adapters in the last 2 years as I
plug/unplug every morning and night.

I'm gonna wait for a whole year to see how it stands to my punishment. I've
also had to forcefully remind myself to always to pull with my fingers
around the connector plug instead of pulling on the wire leading to the
connector plug.

On 4/28/04 10:29 AM, the Defendant "PowerBook G4 Titanium List"
<Titanium at lists.themacintoshguy.com> said:

> Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:05:21 -0700
> From: "Mark C. Langston" <mark at bitshift.org>
> Subject: Re: [Ti] TiPB Power Adaptor
>
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 04:43:24PM -0400, Leander Hutton wrote:
>> Is the power adaptor for the TiPB covered under warranty for fraying?  I
>> went to unplug it this morning and it gave me a decent sized jolt. So I went
>> down to the campus computer store and I had to buy a new one because they
>> said that Apple doesn't cover it under warranty.  Is this true?
>>

> APple refuses to acknowledge any problem exists with the "white brick"
> power adapters, Apple part #661-1798.  Doesn't matter how many have been
> returned for this exact problem.  Doesn't matter how many times
> individuals have had to exchange power adapters repeatedly for the same
> problem (when someone can manage to talk AppleCare or a store employee
> into exchanging it).
>
> Apple steadfastly refuses to admit there's any problem at all with part
> #661-1798.
>
> Of course, they quietly replaced part #661-1798 with part #661-3048 a
> little while ago, with no explanation.  Same shape, same design, same
> wattage.
>
> Oddly, however, the rubber boots on the two parts differ.
>

> I've got a boxed, sealed, never-opened #661-1798 that they won't
> exchange for a #661-3048.  Because, you see, there's nothing wrong with
> #661-1798.  Never has been, never will be.  That's their story, and
> they're sticking to it.
>
> --
> Mark C. Langston                                    Sr. Unix SysAdmin
> mark at bitshift.org                                       mark at seti.org
> Systems & Network Admin                                SETI Institute
> http://bitshift.org                               http://www.seti.org

:-)  Wilson - Guam, U.S.A.

- - - P L E A S E   C U T   A L O N G   D O T T E D   L I N E - - -
You can bend my ear
We can talk all day
Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say.  -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET