App to Measure Network Volume?

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 28 20:52:15 PDT 2004

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this one yet: Activity Monitor.
Included as part of OS 10.3 or later.  I always have it running, mostly
for the CPU monitor portion (lets me know if there's a hung application
or something using up a lot of CPU power, which helps me keep the
computer cool).  However, I also use it a lot for its Network Activity
portion.  It has a graph of the last minute or so of network activity,
keeps track of the highest throughput since the application was
launched, shows current packets in and out per second, current data in
and out per second, packets in/out since last reboot, and total amount
of data in/out since last reboot.  There's a similar section for drive
activity (tracking reads and writes over time).  There's also graphs of
disk usage and memory usage.

The downside is that this isn't saved when rebooting; if your computer
crashes (in OS X?  Ha!) and you don't write the numbers down, you'll
have no idea what they were.  But it's free, requires no installation,
and works well.