Noisy Ti/500

Peter Krug pkrug at mac.com
Fri Apr 30 06:17:12 PDT 2004

I have upgraded one of my coworkers from a WallStreet PBG3 to a
Ti/500.  He complains about the loud whining noises coming from under
the trackpad and wants me to either fix it or send it in to Apple for
them to fix it.  When I had a Ti/500, I remember it being pretty
noisy, but he says it is unbearable to work with it.  I'm pretty sure
it's the hard drive or some fan near the hard drive - the noise kicks
on immediately after powering on.  Attempts to get the hard drive to
spin down have failed to stop the noise - I think I can hear the
drive heads parking, but the whine never stops.

I vaguely remember hearing references to a hard drive fan and
possibly disconnecting it.  But I can't find anything online.  Am I
dreaming about a hard drive fan?  I opened the Ti up and couldn't
find anything.  Is my only option to get him a new hardrive?

Thanks for any info,

Peter
--
A little computer haiku:
I can't remember

This message sent with Eudora 6.1 on Mac OS X 10.3.3