[Ti] Noisy Ti/500

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Fri Apr 30 06:38:58 PDT 2004

At 09:17 -0400 30/4/04, Peter Krug wrote:
>loud whining noises coming

Peter - there were three noise sources in my Ti500:

1. the whine of the CD drive when there was a CD in it
    (the drive failed and was replaced quickly by Apple and then there
was no noise)

2. the loud cooling fan (I think there was only one, not one related
to the hard drive)

3. the hard drive.  When I replaced the drive, all of this sound was
eliminated.
     (I still have the drive, now in an external drive case, and it
still whines)

 From what you describe, it is not sure to be coming from the hard drive.
To be sure, can you not take out the hard drive, and start up from a
CD, and then you can be sure if it is the hard drive.  I could tell
from the location and type of noise, I never needed "proof".

Trevor