[Ti] Noisy Ti/500

Peter Krug pkrug at mac.com
Fri Apr 30 06:44:23 PDT 2004

>I have upgraded one of my coworkers from a WallStreet PBG3 to a
>Ti/500.  He complains about the loud whining noises coming from
>under the trackpad and wants me to either fix it or send it in to
>Apple for them to fix it.  When I had a Ti/500, I remember it being
>pretty noisy, but he says it is unbearable to work with it.  I'm
>pretty sure it's the hard drive or some fan near the hard drive -
>the noise kicks on immediately after powering on.  Attempts to get
>the hard drive to spin down have failed to stop the noise - I think
>I can hear the drive heads parking, but the whine never stops.
>
>I vaguely remember hearing references to a hard drive fan and
>possibly disconnecting it.  But I can't find anything online.  Am I
>dreaming about a hard drive fan?  I opened the Ti up and couldn't
>find anything.  Is my only option to get him a new hardrive?

Well, I hate responding to my own message, but after booting from an
external then ejecting his internal, the noise stopped, so I'll
assume it's the hard drive spinning that's making the noise.  Is this
due to the case or will a replacement drive solve the issue?  The
drive in my rev A. LunchTray (17-inch PBG4) does not make these
sounds.

Thanks again,

Peter
--
A little computer haiku:
I can't remember

This message sent with Eudora 6.1 on Mac OS X 10.3.3