more on my dead SuperDrive.....

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Thu Aug 5 09:38:17 PDT 2004

At 2:04 PM +0200 7/28/04, Dr. Trevor J. Hutley wrote:
>At 02:04 -0400 28/7/04, JFL wrote:
>>Not being able to suck in a disc sounds like a dead drive,
>>>
>>>This evening, the drive will not even "take" a disk.....
>
>I called Apple in Switzerland, they agreed with my diagnosis that
>the SuperDrive is dead.
>
>They proposed to send me a newSuperDrive (to arrive within 48 hours
>at my house), so that I can take it with my Powerbook to an
>authorised repair shop here in Geneva (ART Computer), get them to
>change it (under warranty), and get them to send the old drive back
>to Apple within 10 days.   Sounds like a great arrangement to me.

Thursday 5 August 2004

One week later, yesterday, I have received no SuperDrive from Apple,
so I call them.

They said that someone had cancelled the shipment of the DVD drive to
me, but could not say who or why.  It is hard to believe that
'someone', withiout leaving any record in the file, can just cancel
an important shipment.

Today, I called Apple, who said it was cancelled because the
SuperDrive is not a user-serviceable part.
I KNOW THAT........ I was not going to do anything except take it to
the authorised repair shop, who had agreed to do the work and had
undertaken to ship the dead drive back to Apple within 10 working
days of receipt.

Apple said there is nothing they can do to help me, as they now say
that the authorised service centre has to order the part.
Fortunately, I found a very helpful person at the service centre here
in Geneva (ART Computer) who ordered the part this evening, just
based on a phone call, and promised to call me when the drive
arrived, and that he would fix it the same working day.  That is what
I call service.

I leave next Friday for Saudi Arabia, so the timing is now very tight.

Then I read the catalogue of problems that Sam has had with his 1Ghz
Powerbook, and I felt better.

regards,  Trevor