[Ti] [Ti]Journaling, was --> Journeling.

b syrflip at verizon.net
Fri Aug 6 15:27:39 PDT 2004

David DelMonte paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>Flipper, sorry about the original spelling.. I appreciate your
>insight. You didn't mention though about disk optimization provided
>by journaling that others have mentioned. What are your thoughts
>there?
>
>David

defragging files, while leaving the so-called 'free space all broken
up, is pointless, and potentially worse. Let me explain, ANY app that
collects a file, or files, that are in separate places, then finds
space for the file as one contiguous block, is doing two things: One,
it is leaving more smaller, non-contiguous allocation blocks (the
places where each file's different parts were located), and Two: It
is creating even more fragmentation of the pre-existing 'free' drive
space.

As much as i recommend against Symantec products on the Mac, the
Speed Disk (which was probably acquired from folks who had nothing to
do with the atrocious Disk Doctor), is the only way to go. It
analyzes the entire drive, which is time-consuming, and crucially
necessary, then not only does it de-frag the files (all of them), it
clears all of the free drive space into one contiguous block of
allocation blocks... leaving all of the critical drive files
(extents, wrapper, header, directory, etc) right at the 'top' of the
drive, where they must be.

The journaling feature doesn't even belong in the same diiscussion as
optimization/defragmentation. It may be useful (though i doubt it)
for other things, but speeding up, and securing the operation of the
drive, isn't one of them.

Same goes for InTech's Disk Defrag, which also does the quick,
piecemeal, file defrag, leaving the 'clean' space worse off than
before the so-called 'de-fragging.

Alsoft's Plus optimizer is slow as anything, and won't move
'anchored' files. Which are almost always, files that are 'anchored'
by third-party apps that are violating Apple APIs, anyway. Norton
just gives them the heave-ho.

Lots of RAM, defragged free drive space, and 15-20% of always-free
space is the way to go. Everything happens faster, and when it's time
for a periodic defrag, that goes a lot quicker, too, courtesy of RAM
and free drive space.

A simple real world example: let's say one runs Dreamweaver. It makes
a nice example because the installation contains a little over
thirteen thousand files. Mostly small files, but a lot of them.

So, we're running Dreamweaver, which, let's say was installed on a
nice, fragmented drive... so, the files are scattered, broken into
pieces, and scattered more, just on the install.... now, after lots
of editing (more frags), deleting (more frags, importing snapshots,
editing them, deleting some (a lot more frags).... the journaling
kicks in and sees a large chunk of the app in three places, near a
lot of the rerst of the apps files, and 'fixes it'. It creates more
small holes in the sectors where most of the app resides, and maybe
the 'space' it moves the 'fixed, reassembled into one' file to is ove
here, between a fonts cache, and a few forgotten attachments from
when you used to use eudora... get it? A mess.

you run a real defragger/optimizer, and lo and behold, a
graphically-enabled inspection of the allocation blocks shows all
13k+ Dreamweaver files in one, long unbroken chain of allocation
blocks. Now which 'state' do you suppose Dreamweaver is going to
function the most efficiently in?

The reason Panther's pseodo-defragging-on-the-fly has given people
the wrong impression is simple, and it isn't because people are dumb,
not even. There's this 'myth', which like all myths has some truth to
it, that goes like this: But Unix 'likes' to have files spread across
the drive".

Yeah, that's right, it does, because the System knows that modern
drives can pick up things in certain places faster when they're
'striped'. BUT, and it's a big but... what the parrots of the myth
fail to understand, acknowledge, or are simply ignorant of is this;
pro Unix setups never have anything except for the kernel, and it's
own sub-systems on the same drive. Never. Applications? forget it.
Public directories? No way. Nothing, nada.

The System-generated fragmentation that occurs, and there's a lot,
just do a real defrag, reboot into Jag or Panther, and then, without
launching any apps, reboot back into the defrag CD, or partition and
re-scan the drive: several hundred fragged files. Nice job OS.
<laughs>

If all you want to do is run the Finder, then forget about frags, let
panther deal with it. But as soon as you want to get some work done
you have two choices: Move all apps and Documents and scratch disks
to separate drives, or run a defragger, routinely. It's as simple as
that.

~flipper