[Ti] [Ti]Journaling, was --> Journeling.

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Sat Aug 7 07:55:49 PDT 2004

Kernel panics aren't the only way to have data lost.  I'm not sure
exactly what in the OS would have to fail to cause a half-performed
write; just plain freezing comes to mind, plus power outages and the
like.  Bad memory could certainly contribute to these things, since
many people have no-brand memory (I'm talking about the chips, not the
whole stick) and have no clue.

Anyway, working in computer repair for several years, I encountered
many, many, many people who had corrupt directories; inconsistencies
that probably got started because their computer crashed once, and then
two years later the errors had built up so much that their computer
would no longer boot or mount the hard drive.  Of course, this always
happens to a file that wasn't backed up, and had to be sent to a
{professor, boss, relative, pick one} yesterday, and would take days if
not weeks or months to reproduce.  Seems to me that a slight
performance hit is worth more reliability.

Anyway, you're free to actually perform a benchmark if you like; I'd do
it myself, but I'm writing this on a plane as I go on vacation for a
couple days, and I'm also in the middle of moving from one apartment to
another.  If I remember, I'll try and test it before the end of the
month (if somebody really cares, remind me then).  I'd recommend
testing copying a large file on a single hard drive, copying a large
file from one drive to another, copying many small files on a single
drive, and copying many small files from one drive to another; try all
with journalling turned on on the hard drive that is being written to,
and then again with journalling off.  If you're really ambitious, you
should try it with a variety of systems; I only have my two PowerBooks
to test with, so perhaps somebody else will test with a G5 (on Serial
ATA) and a G4 desktop (with parallel ATA).

However the benchmark turns out though, remember that the supposed 10%
slowdown is only slowing down something that your computer spends much
much less than 1% of its time doing, and neither you nor the computer
generally has to wait around for the write to complete.  You spend 3
hours writing a Word document, you save it every 5 minutes, and it
still takes you far longer to hit Command-S than it does for the
computer to actually write the file.  It might make a difference if
you're copying a few GB of data from one place to another, but very few
people do this frequently, nor do they necessarily have to stop work
while the data copies (eg start a large copy, go work on something else
while it completes), and additionally, the writing speed of the drive
often isn't the bottleneck; most drives will write faster than they can
read, plus often when copying from a network, the network is the
weakest (errr, slowest) link in the chain.

The one time that I can think of that somebody would regularly copy
several gigabytes of data, may have to completely halt work while doing
so, and would have other I/O devices that can keep up with the hard
drive is digital video, which I already mentioned as being a good
excuse to turn journalling off.

Also, to offset the slowdown when writing files, reading and writing
speeds are both improved; reading by moving the most-read files to the
hot zone on the disk, and both reading and writing are sped up by the
automatic defragmenting that is happening on the background.  Turn
journalling off, and you lose these features.

If speed is *truly* essential to you, buy the highest-capacity 5400 RPM
laptop drive you can find, or even better, as you've already found, get
an external drive running at 7200 RPMs or better (again, higher
capacity will also generally give you better speed).  Heck, you can
even get a battery-powered RAID if you need to.  Either of those
upgrades will give you a much larger speed boost than Journalling will
give you a performance hit.

If you do decide to turn journalling off, at least buy DiskWarrior and
run it once a month or so.  It'll fix all those little problems that
crop up in directories that you don't know about until a catastrophic
failure after which you can't read the disk any more.