[Ti] Battery Blues, Charger Suspicion, CD-Burner mischief ...

luke etyrnal at ameritech.net
Wed Dec 1 14:57:52 PST 2004

Subject: Battery Blues, Charger Suspicion, CD-Burner mischief ...

hi

i am using a tibook 867 w/ 512MB RAM and 40GB hd...

recently my battery just decided to go from 2-3 hours of solid battery
life to about 6 minutes...

it had never done this before.

i've tried 'conditioning' the battery - (i'm not sure if i understand
the specifics of the procedure though)

i am wondering if maybe my charger might be the problem...

does anyone know what the output voltage of the charger is supposed to
be?

this tibook has basically been POWERED ON and RUNNING heavily for two
years straight.

but i RARELY run it from the battery.

the batter probably has literally under 50 hours on it as far as
running the tibook from the battery.

i partly suspect the charger, because right about the same time the
batter went from 2-3 hours life one day and 4 minutes the next day, the
CD burner decided to stop BURNING cd's... it reads fine though...

i keep getting media sense failure messages from toast...

i wonder if the voltage or current on the charger, due to age, has
maybe dipped slightly below optimal level ?

help.

i do not know if i need a new battery, charger, cd-burner, or all
three...

this machine never gets taken anywhere - it's my desktop machine.

so any wisdom?  ideas?

also is it possible that the media is bad?  i have been using the same
brand for YEARS.  I prefer Memorex 80 minute cd's because in hundreds
of cd's on three different machines i have had very minimal disc
failures...

so could a weak charger affect burning?  i though maybe the higher
power burning laser doesn't have enough juice (voltage/current)?

thanks for any ideas...

luke

etyrnal.no-ip.com
etyrnal.no-ip.com/3DLM/