[Ti] Battery Blues, Charger Suspicion, CD-Burner mischief ...

Dale Gardner drgardner at mac.com
Wed Dec 1 19:05:26 PST 2004

My configuration is virtually identical - the system was purchased two
years ago, and I just replaced my battery as noted in a previous post.
Usage is a bit different - mine spends a lot of time plugged in at a
desk, but it travels a lot unlike yours.

I'd start by investigating the battery - it's easy to do. You should
download an app that will provide some further insights into what's
happening - I'd recommend XBattery. http://www.kezer.net/xbattery.html
This will provide a fair amount of insight into the capacity of the
battery, how long it takes to charge and discharge, and current and
voltage levels.

In my case, the estimated battery life had decreased to about an hour.
It would discharge at a relatively normal rate, then would suddenly
drop to nothing, causing the system to hibernate. My research indicated
this was suggestive of a dying battery.

If you look at how quickly the battery charges, how it's discharging,
and overall power (current/voltage) this should give you some
indication as to whether your problem is the battery or the charger. If
you have a volt/amp meter, you should also be able to check what sort
of feed the charger is providing and compare that to the specs. My two
cents - and that's about what it's worth - is that your battery is bad.

Not sure what to suggest about the burner - seems logical that it might
be electrical, so if you can get the battery and charger issues taken
care of, that would at least take a couple of things off the table in
terms of troubleshooting.

Good luck,

Dale