[Ti] Design and/or heat dissipation issues?

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Sat Dec 4 01:19:33 PST 2004

At 14:17 -0800 1/12/04, Adam Boettiger wrote:
>I have a TiBook G4, 1GHz, 512MB RAM
>
>I recall a year or so ago reading about some heat dissipation issues. Mine's
>running hot with the fan on all the time, regardless of whether it is
>plugged in or running on battery power.
>
>Is this a known issue that they have a fix for that would be covered under
>Applecare?

Adam - my Al-book (1.25G, 1Gb RAM) also runs hot.
I now use Temperature Monitor to measure it.

I am currently 63.2°C.  The main cooling fan is
on a lot of the time.  The additional fan also
comes in from time to time (just gone off now, as
the Temperature is down to 60.5°C).

Actually, the regular cooling fan is relatively
quiet (compared to the original Ti-500 that I
had, that sounded like an airplane revving up).

It is unfortunate that the FAN is close to the
internal microphone.  So if I am recording a
meeting, or using internet telephony, the
internal microphone picks up the fan in a biig
way.

It means that recordings of meetings are poor,
because every few minutes the recording is
swamped by the sound of the fan, and it also
means that I can only use internet telephony when
the Al-book is very cool, otherwise my voice is
not heard above the whirr of the fan.

I would say that these are design issues.  I am
not sure where to feed this back to at Appple.

I know that an external microphone would solve
these issues,. but that is a workaround, not a
solution.

regards,  Trevor