[Ti] Titanium batteries

Jeffrey K. Lew lew at atmos.ucla.edu
Thu Dec 2 10:51:36 PST 2004

On Dec 2, 2004, at 9:39, Dan K wrote:

> Complete replacement of the entire battery is one solution, recelling
> is
> another. Ti batteries use 8 'standard' tabbed 18650 LiIon cells, cost
> seems to be $5 to $10 per cell and you must replace them all at the
> same
> time. It's DIY doable but you'll likely have trouble cleanly opening
> the
> case, not an issue if you don't mind a few cosmetic 'issues'. No, I
> don't
> know any takeapart sites, but there's always Google.

If it's going to cost nearly $10 a cell for 8 cells, one may as well
spend the $100-120 to get a new battery. I have a Ti400 with one of the
original batteries that lose contact if you pick up and wiggle the
bottom case, so I'd be in the market for a new battery regardless of
the condition of any of cells in my existing battery pack.

Jeff Lew
UCLA Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences