[Ti] Design and/or heat dissipation issues?

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Mon Dec 6 11:53:39 PST 2004

At 19:09 -0600 4/12/04, Chris Olson wrote:

>The faster the chip's clock speed, the hotter it runs.

I know we know this, but I still ran the experiment.

As I said before, my porcessor runs towards the
top end of the range, with my normal 24/7 use.
Between 60 and 63°C.

I used the Energy Saver control panel to reduce the processor speed.

I changed nothing in the use pattern.

Of course, everything runs (a litttle) slower,
BUT the temperature is now around 55 to 58°C.
The fan is harldy ever on.

This will be a useful work-around for me, when I
want to use internet telephony or discreetly
record meetings, without the internal mic being
drowned by the fan noise.  I wish I could tweak
the processor speed up a little, as I feel that I
could run a bit faster and keep the tem,perature
between 58 and 60°C, with out the fan coming on.
Maybe one day we will have that kind of control.
Unless one of you Unix guys could write some
instruction with a GUI for us that would do
this....

regards, Trevor