[Ti] New G4 PowerBooks

Tom Warner tom at dfind.com
Tue Dec 7 18:30:58 PST 2004

On 8 Dec 2004, at 2:02 am, Chris Olson wrote:

> I can't figure out why everybody wants a PowerBook G5.  The PowerPC
> 970FX was built from the ground up for SMP.  One G5 is like a fish out
> of water.  My dual 1.42 PowerMac G4 runs circles around an iMac
> G5/1.8.  As a matter of fact, it stomps on it, spits on it, then
> grinds it into the ground under it's heel.
> <snip>

> Sonnettech, today, announced availability of new 90nm process, 1.7GHz
> cpu upgrades for the Cube, and Sawtooth/Quicksilver PowerMac G4's:
> http://www.sonnettech.com/news/press/pr2004/pr120704_sg4_prcdrop.html

And your dual 1.42 G4 will probably run circles around them too.

I don't see your point about the single G5. If a single G4 was
'better', why would Apple have bothered with the cooling hassles and
delays of the G5 iMac?

This is a sincere question. I'm not trying to bicker with you.

All the best,
Tom