[Ti] New G4 PowerBooks

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Tue Dec 7 20:19:12 PST 2004

On Dec 7, 2004, at 8:30 PM, Tom Warner wrote:

> I don't see your point about the single G5. If a single G4 was
> 'better', why would Apple have bothered with the cooling hassles and
> delays of the G5 iMac?

Marketing.  The higher the "G number", the better it must be, right?
At least that's the way consumers look at it.  It's something new.  New
stuff sells.  Status quo gets dismal sales.

Not that the G5 isn't a good processor, and not that the iMac G5 isn't
a good consumer computer.  The G5's scalability shows much more
potential than the G4.  But at the same time there's absolutely no
reason (other than marketing) at this point for Apple to have a single
cpu PowerMac G5 when the dual cpu 1.42 GHz PowerMac G4 is actually a
faster machine.  Add to that the G4 chips from Freescale are more
readily available (and cheaper) than G5 chips.  IBM is still having
yield problems with the PowerPC 970 fab.

I'd like to see Freescale Semiconductor step up R&D on the G4 line of
chips because it's a *very* efficient, stable, workhorse processor.
Motorola has just been lackluster in development of it.  Otherwise, it
makes the perfect PowerBook cpu over the G5.  There's limitations to
notebook computers in the first place with heat and size.  A 64-bit cpu
in a notebook is like swatting flies with a screen door.  It's not
practical with current technology because of the limitations of the
amount battery capacity to feed electricity to more than 2 GB of RAM.
How many here have the full compliment (2 GB) of RAM in their
PowerBooks?  I'll bet not very many.  And this the one big, main
advantage with a 64-bit processor - the amount of RAM it can address.
Otherwise, 64-bit software will run slower than 32-bit because you're
pushing larger memory addresses around with it.  *Unless* you can take
advantage of the increased memory addressing capacity of the 64-bit
cpu.  I'd bet 95% of consumers don't own the software to *use* the full
capabilities of the G5 processor.  If you work with Motion, Final Cut,
DVD Studio Pro, Logic, et al, as your *primary* applications, then
you're a G5 customer.
--
Chris