[Ti] Hinge Help

Jason Warm jasonwarm at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 08:07:48 PST 2004

OK, I need to see if anyone out there is going as crazy as I am over
these *&^%ing hinges.  Oh, guess I should specify, what I mean is the
common failure of the screen hinges on the PowerBook G4 Titanium.  As
far as I can tell there are only 3 possible solutions:

1.  Send your PB back to Apple and they will fix it for $1600.
2.  Buy a kit for about $400 and replace them  yourself.
3.  Create your own out of scrap metal for only about 10 bucks.

Is this all there is out there?!  The first two options are absolutely
ridiculous, $400 is almost what you would pay to buy a full system off
eBay!  As for option three, would be great if you are actually handy
enough to do that type of work without losing a finger or two.  Has
anyone out there heard of a 3rd party selling pre-fabricated "ad-hoc"
type of hinges similair to the ones referenced here.
http://www.photo.is/titanium.html