[Ti] LCD screen replacement issues/saga

Manoel A Felciano maf291 at nyu.edu
Wed Dec 15 22:31:20 PST 2004

Hi all--

I'm hoping some wise soul out there can help me out with this. Many
months ago, the left hinge on my 667mhz broke, eventually fraying and
severing the video cables. For months I have used the computer
perfectly happily with an external monitor & keyboard.

Finally I decided to take the plunge and try and repair it myself. I
purchased a "guaranteed not DOA" entire screen with hinges from ebay,
from a 500mhz model. Aside from the fact that the video cable was green
and not multicolored, it looked fine.

Using various step by step guides from the internet and Apple
documents, I very carefully took everything apart, attached the screen
and put it back together. The computer booted up, screen dark. Further
investigation revealed that I had to replace the inverter card as well,
which I did, again being super careful with all cables etc.

Finally I took a breath and booted up, and YES i have power to the
screen, it lights
up. Problem is that's all that happens. When I connect to an external
monitor,
computer seems to be working perfectly (I'm writing on it now, so I
don't think it's a logic board issue) The Monitors control panel
Identifies two monitors, one as LCD, one as my external VGA. I can even
move my mouse between (or at least it dissapears when I move it off the
VGA monitor), reassign the menu bar, etc. but the Powerbook LCD stays
gray. I can increase & decrease the brightness on the machine with the
F1 & F2 keys, but can't see any info. Any idea what this could be? The
video cables seem fine, utterly unfrayed or pinched. I'm EXTREMELY
careful with them, and clearly the monitor just seems not to be getting
the appropriate information, or at least not displaying it.

Would greatly appreciate any and all advice.

Kind Regards,

Mano