[Ti] Alternatives Location for the Home Folder

Alan Thompson alan at alanthompson.net
Thu Dec 16 08:20:15 PST 2004

That will work fine, although I highly recommend using Netinfo to change
the location of your home directory.

The other comment I have is regarding your statement that your
installation was cluttered, and you were experiencing degraded
performance - I am very curious as to your and other list members'
experiences in this regard.  I have not so far experienced this
phenomenon with OS X (or any unix-based variant).  I know that this is
very common with the Windows OSs, but until very recently, I had a 2001
iBook that had OS X 10.0 on it, then 10.03, etc., to Jaguar, to Panther,
all with upgrades, and it all worked very well.  My point is that I had
a three year old installation with no perceptible degredation of
performance (I know OS X itself performed better with the upgrades - but
that's not what I'm talking about).  My iMac G4 has had Panther on it
since it came out, also with no slow down.

I'm an IT manager, and I deal with Windows installations all day long
that simply need to be re-installed for no apparent reason as they've
simply succumbed to "cruft" and those users experienced degraded
performance.  I had assumed that as with my Linux machines, and with my
own experience with OS X since it came out that it didn't really suffer
from the dreaded 6-month to 12-month OS slowdown.