AW: [Ti] High Speed Access via Satellite

Christoph Hammann chammann at mac.com
Fri Dec 17 20:38:41 PST 2004

am 18.12.2004 4:42 Uhr schrieb Wilhelm Wanders unter kaskudoo at freenet.de:

> it would be interesting to hear the speeds that you are getting.
> i knew of a 'satellite system' back in germany 3 years ago,

Hi,
I have this connection, it is , paradoxically, the only high-bandwidth
solution in regions of Germany that have glass fibre to the home (no ISPs
want to invest in the infrastructur to use these fibres).

> got amazing download speeds,
>but the upload would be dial-up/dsl

Yes, downloads are 80 to 120 kb/sec. Uploads depend on your POTS connection,
I have ISDN and it's 20 to 30 kb/sec.
DSL isn't possible in this scenario (because of the glass fibres, though
there are rumored to be local switches from fibre to copper wire for the
industry).

> ...which is not good, since you need a good upload bandwith as well (to
> get to larger download rates)

That isn't true in my experience, at least for big downloads. Might be
different for distributed download/upload situations like bittorrent or
peer-to-peer networks. I don't do that.

Regards,

--
Christoph Hammann