Overly-modest TiBook battery

Bob Jacobsen Bob_Jacobsen at lbl.gov
Sun Feb 8 08:06:40 PST 2004

I have a TiBook 400MHz and three batteries.  The original battery
recently developed a problem with its idea of how much charge it
contains.  When charged, it shows 100%.  That drops to zero in about
20 minutes, giving the usual low-battery warning, etc.  But I can run
at 0% for an hour or more!

It seems that the battery is holding energy just fine, but that the
estimation  of how much is left is really off.

I'd like to get this fixed because once the battery is showing zero,
the computer won't wake from sleep.

The other two batteries, which are significantly younger, are working fine.

I've tried Apple's recommendation for "recalibrating" the battery by
letting it run down until the computer goes to sleep automatically.
(I acutally do this pretty often).  That seems to have no effect.

Does anybody have any ideas for resetting the self-esteem of this battery?

Thanks in advance.

Bob