[Ti] 1st Gen. 17" v. SACD CD layer

Wesley Griffin wgriffin at fraktured.net
Tue Feb 10 13:24:16 PST 2004

On Feb 10, 2004, at 3:15 PM, Steve Martin wrote:

> I have a 15" PowerBook with an MCE branded Matshita UJ-815A that reads
> SACD just fine (as normal CD that is).  I wonder if it is just a
> firmware thing.
>
> On Feb 10, 2004, at 2:05 PM, Dave Morrison wrote:
>
>>> From: Peter Krug <pkrug at mac.com>
>>> Subject: Re: [Ti] 1st Gen. 17" v. SACD CD layer
>>
>>>   If it can, then it is a hardware limitation of the internal
>>> drive.
>>
>> You got that right. It's the darn Matshita UJ-815 drive that can't
>> see these discs. The model installed in the Rev.B 17" is UJ-816. I
>> asked AppleCare if they'd be willing to swap the drive itself. They
>> said "Sure, but you'll have to pay for the drive". Kinda makes me
>> wonder why I bought AppleCare again.

Just as another data point, I've got a UJ-815 Firmware D0CB in my Rev.A
12" Al. It played the CD portion of the Norah Jones SACD Hybrid just
fine.

DVD-Audio on the mac sucks right now. I'm actually looking at the
reverse: encoding high-res streams into DVD-Audio and burning onto
DVD-R. I haven't found a single application that does any DVD-Audio on
the mac.