[Ti] 1st Gen. 17" v. SACD CD layer

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Tue Feb 10 14:43:52 PST 2004

Do you know anybody else in your area with a 1 GHz 17" PowerBook?  Are
there any Apple Authorized Resellers in the area?  Resellers sometimes
don't have the latest machines on display, often waiting for a new form
factor or other major upgrades before refreshing their demo units.  Is
there a MUG in your area where you can go and see if somebody else
could try one of those disks for you?  Does anybody on the list live
near you?  It often happens that an optical drive will fail partially,
reading one type of disks and not another (eg reading DVDs and CDs just
fine, but not CD-Rs, or reading CDs fine and not DVDs, etc.), so
hopefully you can find another identical revision (and drive firmware)
of the PowerBook to test it with.

However, it could very well be a limitation of the drive; making a slot
to, say, the Titanium optical drives, but I would assume it is slightly
thinner than they were; I'll make a mental note to try and compare them
sometime.  I'm opening a 17" PowerBook tomorrow, I hope, and I have a
few old Titanium DVD-ROM drives laying around to compare it with.
Anyway, assuming that it is a new design, there can be unintentional
quirks to it such as this, or perhaps it was just deemed an unnecessary
addition in order to squeeze an extra millimeter out of the case.

Somebody asked if you had flashed your drive with the 2x DVD-R update;
if not, perhaps you could try.  IIRC, this added support for some types
of discs, perhaps it would help your situation (I think it added like
DVD-RW or something, I could be wrong though).  Check the list archives
(or Google) for the site.