[Ti] wireless routers/hubs?

Glenn L. Austin glenn at austin-home.com
Tue Feb 10 14:46:17 PST 2004

on 2/10/04 2:10 PM, Greg Chapel at gchapel at worldnet.att.net wrote:

> "In fact, I've heard that Linksys has
> gotten downright hostile recently towards anything non-Windows."
>
> Where did you hear that? Linksys has nothing to do with windows. Linksys
> routers and hubs are configurable from any standard web browser and don't
> require any special software to function or setup. They are designed to be
> OS independant and conform to internet protocol and 802.11 standards. How do
> you figure that they are hostile to a non-windows system, this statement
> makes no sense.
>
> I use linksys systems in my business and find them to be very reliable,
> dependable, easy to configure and don't have any problems with mac use on
> the networks.

I use them myself in several locations, but it has always been my experience
that when I have to talk to support there, they make it very clear that they
*only* support Windows clients.  I've read that some of their newer devices
are only configurable from Windows IE (I thought that was on this list, in
fact).  Even their web pages state that they only support Windows.
<http://www.linksys.com/support/support.asp?spid=68> about halfway down the
page is one example ("Linksys does not, at this time, provide technical
support for setup, configuration or troubleshooting of any non-Windows
operating systems.", "(Linksys does not provide technical support for the
Macintosh platform.)").

I like the design of their boxes, I like their configuration, I like the
fact that I can configure them with a web browser, I like that they permit
me to do some things that otherwise could be very difficult (like setting up
a "repeater station" for 802.11b with a bridge and WAP -- there weren't
"repeaters" out when I did this!).

--
Glenn L. Austin <><
Computer Wizard and Race Car Driver